1. George MORGAN. Born ca 1722 in Nottinghamshire, Eng. George died in Clements, Annapolis Cty, NS on 28 Feb 1808, he was 86. Occupation: Royal Artillery/Farmer.
George was the first Morgan of this family to come to Canada, apparently from Nottinghamshire. He enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1744.1 He was likely in Canada at Louisbourg as early as 1745 or 1746, serving as a Matross under Captain D. Rogers. The Company appears to have left England in July, 1745. George was promoted to Gunner on April 1, 1747. In 1749, with the death of Captain D. Rogers, Captain E. Johnson assumed command of the Company. Halifax was founded on Chebucto Harbour in June, and the Company mustered at Chebucto in August, and remained there at least through 1750. In the early 1750's he was promoted to Bombardier, and some time in the 1760's to Sergeant, with which rank he retired on 29 July, 1769. It is probable that he was assigned to Annapolis Royal in 1754 & 1755 where he may have met Ann Davis. He was also at Annapolis Royal in 1759, 1760 and 1766. His company, #5 Company, as part of 2nd Battalion, transferred to Woolwich, England on September 1, 1766 and he remained there until his retirement.2
On August 18, 1766, George paid 40 Pounds to purchase 200 acres of land from Ann Davis(widow of John William Davis). The property is described as being in the Township of Annapolis and more specifically as Lot No. 16 in Dugan'se(Dugas) Grant. Although the property was purchased in 1766, the deed was not entered until 27 March, 1770. See Exhibit 2.3 The Dugas Grant was a 1600 acre property on the south shore of the Annapolis Basin, lying just west of Annapolis Royal, originally granted by the French government to Joseph Dugas. After the expulsion of the Acadians, the land was granted to thirteen men, including John Davis, on September 4, 1759. 4
On that same date, August 18, 1766, George married Ann Davis. Family tradition has always indicated that George married Ann Harris, which could have been the maiden name of Ann. George had not been previously married.5
It is interesting to note that the deed in which Ann Davis transferred the Dugas Lot #16 to George Morgan that one of the witnesses was a John Davis, possibly the father of Johnw William Davis. Also, John Harris carried out a number of land deals which involved John Davis, so there is some probability that Ann Davis was a Harris.
Ann married John William Davis sometime prior to 1760(possibly in 1753). In a petition, dated August 1, 1766, Ann Davis mentions that her husband died about 6 years ago, leaving 4 small children to support. 6 John William Davis is mentioned in a deed style document dated Feb 25, 1755. 7
The 1768 census for Annapolis Township lists Ann Morgan as head of a household with 3 males and 3 females. All were listed as American(which presumably means born in Canada). The family had 2 horses, 2 cows and 2 oxen. The census indicates that Ann was a widow with 3 sons. George was in England at the time for his discharge, which is the likely reason for this latter statement.8
On 29 July, 1769, George was discharged(retired) to the invalid list as a Sergeant in the Royal Artillery, Captain William Martin's Company, with service of 25 years 2 months. See Exhibit 11
The 1770 census lists George Morgan as head of household for a family of 8, of which 7 were Acadian and 1 English. According to this census, George held 150 acres of property.8
As a result of the American Revolution, George Morgan was listed among the "Return of men raised by Colonel Shaw, of the Annapolis Militia for the defence of the Province during invasion, by the (American) rebells; that is to say, from the 12th day of Nov., 1776 to the 18th day of Decr. following inclusive."8
George was included under "A List of the Names of the Tax-paying Residents, under the Capitation Tax Act, as Returned to the Authorities, in 1791, by the Assessors under that Act.", for which he paid 5 shillings.8
George was active in County and Township affairs, at least during the late 1780's and the early 1790's. He was appointed to the Annapolis Grand Jury in 1787, 1789 and 1791. The Grand Jury was a body which basically handled the business affairs of the county. George, along with William Winniett, was appointed Fence Viewer for Clements in 1788; in 1792 George and Joseph Potter were appointed Hogg Viewers.9
On 7 Sept., 1791, Mr & Mrs. Morgan are included in a list of people who received confirmation at St. Luke's Church.(this may have been George and Ann)10
In June, 1794, Elizabeth Morgan and Mary Morgan were baptised. They may have been daughters of George and Anne.(Mary may be the missing daughter, and Elizabeth may be Sarah Elizabeth(later married to Samuel Henshaw)10
On May 13, 1796, George purchased part of Lot 15 in the Dugas Grant-"Bounded Westerly by lands of the s. George Morgan Northerly by the Marsh Land Easterly by Lands belonging to the estate of Joseph Cossins deceased and Southerly by Lands Granted to and Others Containing by estimation sixty Acres" from William and Mary Robertson for the price of 40 pounds. See Exhibit 3.11
In the inventory of Joseph Potter's estate in 1801, George Mortgan is noted as purchasing 5 "Shoats" for £1 7 Shillings from the estate.12
He died in 1808. An inventory of his effects included in the Administration of his estate was valued at 68 Pounds Thirteen Shillings and 3 Pence. Ann Morgan, Henry and Edward(presumably both sons) were mentioned in the documents.13 A dispute over the estate was precipitated by Henry petitioning as a debtor for a large payment from the estate. There were petitions from Ann and Edward(and Samuel Henshaw who was acting for his wife) opposing such a settlement. The Lieutenant Governor & his Council decided that the only way the dispute could be settled would be through a court of law. No evidence has been found of such a case. However, it is noted that on May 15, 1828, Henry & Margaret Morgan sold Lot #15(100 acres) to James Harris for 500 lbs. Research, so far(1997), has not revealed what happened to Lot 16, the original homestead.14 See Exhibit 4.
Edward & Henry Morgan are mentioned in the Inventory papers of George's estate administration. Chute indicates that Edward is the son of George & the father of Thomas. Marion McCormick of Bear River also mentioned this, claiming that she obtained her information from family bibles and family histories. Edward is noted in several documents as living in Clements in his earlier years.
Ann had a challenging life. In 1766 she petitioned the Lieutenant Governor for a license to sell the Dugas property Lot #16. She had 4 children which she was left with after John William Davis, her first husband drowned in 1760. See Exhibit 5. However, it is clear that she must have been a capable and independent woman. She would have had to look after the family home and 6 children while George was absent with The Royal Artillery, in particular, when he was in England from 1766 to 1769. In the administration bond dated 6th of June, 1808, she is an administrator(along with Henry Morgan and Henry Harris)of her late husband's estate. She signs the document with her "mark". See Exhibit 6.
On 18 Aug 1766 when George was 44, he married Ann DAVIS5, in Annapolis Royal, NS. Born ca 1732 in NS. Ann died in Clements, Annapolis Cty, NS ca 1812, she was 80. Occupation: Housewife.
Chute says Ann was from England. This is a possibility, however, there seems to be a higher probability that she was of Acadian stock. The 1770 census says she was Acadian. She was married to John William Davies(in other records it is Davis) in 175315 Coward says John William was the son of John Davis a Sergeant in the Garrison at Annapolis Royal.16 Ann was mentioned by Marion McCormick as having a last name of Harris. Vernon Spurr also includes this name. It is possible that Ann was a sister of John Harris, Esquire, who settled in Annapolis Royal sometime prior to 1755.
They had the following children:
2 i. Henry (ca1773-1852)
3 ii. Edward (1778-1867)
4 iii. UNNAMED
5 iv. Sarah
6 v. UNNAMED
Family of George MORGAN (1) & Ann DAVIS
2. Henry MORGAN. Born ca 1773 in Clements, NS. Henry died in Clements, Nova Scotia in Jan 1852, he was 79.17 Buried on 10 Jan 1852 in Clements, Nova Scotia.17
Henry in a petition to the Lieutenant Governor after the death of his father, states that in the month of March, 1796, he was "..being near two years after he was of age...". Presumably this means that he was 23 years of age.14
A dispute over the estate was precipitated by Henry petitioning as a debtor for a large payment from the estate. There were petitions from Ann and Edward opposing such a settlement. The Lieutenant Governor & his Council decided that the only way the dispute could be settled would be through a court of law. No evidence has been found of such a case.14 See Exhibit 4. However, it is noted that on May 15, 1828, Henry & Margaret Morgan sold Lot #15 in Dugas(100 acres) to James Harris for 500 lbs.(Bk 26, P. 303) Research, so far(1997), has not revealed what happened to Lot 16, the original homestead. He also sold on April 3, 1830 to James LeCain a marsh lot, #14, in Dugas for 40 lbs.(Bk 27, P. 210)
Also on May 15, 1828, Henry purchased from Andrew & Famisha Walker a farm of 350 acres, the western part of Lot #9, bounded on the East by Lot #8, and on the West by Lot #10 in the Clementsport area.(Bk26, P. 397)
On 23 September, 1828, Henry took out a mortgage for £200, presumably to help pay for the farm. The mortgage was discharged on 24 Oct, 1848.(Bk 26, P. 429)
On 27 December, 1828, Henry sold to Samuel Cupples a house and ground which was formerly owned by Andrew Walker, part of which he had used as a shoe maker shop. This property was bounded by the Moose River to Bear River Road, and on the Northeast and West by Henry Morgan's own farm (Bk 27, P. 202)
In 1845, Henry and Margaret sold to William L. Ray & Adolphus W. Vroom, a westerly part of the farm, for £105. (Bk 37 P. 218)
On 13 April 1849, in consideration of "love and affection" Henry gave to Samuel Morgan "...Henry Morgan now resides being part of the western half of the farm known by the name of Lot Number nine in the Township of Clements lying and being on the south side of the Annapolis Basin bounded as follows: Easterly by Lot No. 8, Northerly in front by the said Basin, & westerly by a part of the said farm sold by the said Henry Morgan to William L. Ray, together with the water lot and fishing belonging to the said Farm and in front of the same and also the stock of cattle, horses, sheep..(Book 41, P. 473, Annapolis County Deeds).
Henry's funeral services were performed by the Rev WM Godfrey.17
Henry married Margaret. Born ca 1779.17 Margaret died in Clements, Nova Scotia in Jan 1857, she was 78.17 Buried on 1 Feb 1857 in St Edward's Church Yard, Clementsport, Nova Scotia.17
They had the following children:
i. Samuel (ca1811->1881)
ii. Jane (1815-)
iii. Ann (ca1809-1867)
3. Edward MORGAN. Born on 5 Sep 1778 in Clements, Annapolis Cty, NS. Edward died in Morganville, Digby Cty, NS on 3 Jan 1867, he was 88. Occupation: Farmer/Logger/Mill Owner. Religion: Baptist.
Edward was born in Annapolis Township. 18, 19 He was included in a list of persons "in the Township of Clements Who Competed for the Bounty Offered for Newly cleared Land in 1805" He cleared 3.0 acres of land.8
"In 1808, Messrs. Joseph Harris, Thomas Rice, Richard Clarke, Senior, Francis Miller, Edward Morgan, Silas Rice, David Whitman and John Rice, became pioneer residents on west side of Bear River. The first domiciled on property belonging to George A. Purdy, Esquire; the second on farm of David Rice; the third of Edward Clarke; the fourth on William Miller's land; the fifth where Thomas Morgan, Senior, lived;.....".20 The land owned by Edward would likely be that described in a mortgage(Annapolis Deeds - Book 14, P. 323) dated 30 September, 1808, and which was located on the west bank of the Bear River, and included 100 acres. See Exhibit 7. There is no record of the transfer of this land to Edward. However, since he was resident on the farm when the mortgage was taken out, he may have been there in 1805, when he claimed for the Bounty mentioned above. This would not square with Isaiah Wilsonís statement that he moved there in 1808.
In a petition by Henry Morgan, Edward is said to live at home with his father for 3 years after he was married, when he bought a farm, which would mean he moved to the farm in 1804, although he may have purchased it earlier.14 He may have used the mortgage money to begin his lumber activities rather than using it to purchase this land. It is probable that Thomas, his oldest son, took over this farm when Edward moved to the Morganville area to set up his mill(s). Later, Albert Morgan would buy a portion of this land from Thomas.
Edward Morgan was very active in the local militia. He became Adjutant of the 14th Battalion in 1808, and presumably was a militia member for some years previous. His petition(See Exhibit 8) in 1813 for additional pay as an adjutant is interesting in that he had to travel by horse a distance of 125 miles to attend training sessions of various sections of the Battalion. Clearly such a distance would require a fair amount of time, and it is probable that he made the trip no more than once a year. He was awarded £20.21
In the land petition of 1822, his supporters indicate that Edward was then a Captain in the militia. He apparently became known locally as Captain Edward Morgan, and his death certificate carries this title.
In 1822, he petitioned(See Exhibit 9) for, and was granted, 200 acres of land, located on a smaller branch of the Bear River. He confirms in the petition that he was a "Native of the Province of Nova Scotia", that he had a wife and seven children, and resided on the West Side of the Bear River. The petition also mentions that Edward along with 3 other men have plans to build mills. In addition, he states that he "is in possession of one hundred acres of and only whereon he has been settled eighteen years past..". He was supported by Cerino Jones and James Campbell "as he is a very Industrious Man and as ever been an active and Useful Man in the Militia both as adjutant and Capt.".22 This grant of land bestrode the West Branch of the Bear River where the very small community of Morganville now stands. Presumably, his mill(s) was powered by the River. It is noted that in 1871, descendants of Edward were still operating a water powered sawmill which had production in that year of 700,000 board feet.23
Mr. T.W. Wilson says: "Mr. Edward Morgan of Bear River had built a Saw Mill on West Branch of Bear River in 1823. Next year the highway from Sissiboo to Bear River was opened by the General Sessions, also that from latter road at Milford corner to Morgan's Mill. In 1828 Edward Morgan removed thither and began the thriving village since called Morgan Settlement and latterly Morganville. Israel Dunn, Samuel Morgan, William Snell and Harris Morgan were also early settlers. Lumbering and agriculture are largely followed." Samuel and Harris were sons of Edward. A glance at the grant map for Digby County provides an idea why the area was called Morganville. Six different Morgans had grants with a total acreage of 1357 acres, and these figures do not include other Morgans who purchased land, and also the families of these individuals. The Ambrose F. Church map of 1864 shows several Morgans with 2 mills in the Morganville area about where the existing(2000) bridge crosses the West Branch of the Bear River, and on(or very close to) the grant of land to Edward. The 1871 census listed 46 Morgans in the Hillsburgh(Bear River) area.20
Edward was married to Mary Harris, who was the daughter of Captain Henry Harris. The marriage was carried out by Rev. Jacob Bailey.24,25 Mary, also, must have been a capable woman, having to manage a household with 8 children.
"Jul 19, 1819
Evening Killed own ? sow - Wt. 210 lbs. fearing the meat would be difficult to preserve. I had the ? well boiled and put to cool, Let the pork hang up all night and in the morning Cu-it up and Rub'd it well with Salt and put in the Cask and put the pickle thereon. ? now it will keep.
Uncle Henry and Mr. Morgan with us. 26
"March 12, 1821 - Joseph Harris and Morgan chased a moose out at Mr. Ryarson's where he took to and swam the River and they shot him on the Great Marsh(Dentabella Marsh) Brought him back and they dressed him in Ryarson's barn....(Joseph, eldest son of Uncle Henry; Morgan his Brother-in-law)."27 This was Edward Morgan.
"July 20, 1821 - ...Mrs. James Harris was delivered of stillborn child....Mr. Davis, Mr. Morgan, & Mrs. Starratt families very sick with Measles"27
When Henry Harris died in 1831, he left £60 to "Polly", the wife of Edward Morgan.28
The house at the corner of Tom Wallace Road and Morganville Road, and backing on the West Branch of the Bear River is said to be the original homestead of Edward Morgan.29 Catherine Morgan remembers seeing ruins of a water mill at the rear of this house. Samuel Morgan lived there after Edward and cut staves and made barrels.
Edward was involved in several petitions related to the Bear River Bridge and road improvement, including:
1. Dated Jan 12, 1825(RG 5, Series P, Vol 91, #42 requesting repairs to the bridge & roads. There is reference to farms and saw and grist mills having been established.
2. Dated Feb 23, 1827(RG5 Series "P" Vol 92 #99) for bridge repair.
3. Dated Feb 22, 1830(#127), requesting a public wharf attached to the Bear River Bridge. Each petitioner made certain financial commitments. It was dismissed. The petition was also signed by Henry H. Morgan, and many others.
4. Dated 1847(MG1, Vol 1, #88) for repair of the road from South Range to Morgan Settlement.
Edward was often the first signer of these petitions, and may have been the driving spirit to get more assistance.
There was an old cemetery on the south side of Tom Wallace Road in Morganville. Apparently there were never any grave markers. It is quite possible that this is where Edward Morgan and many of his early family were buried. The cemetery is completely overgrown now. There was a Baptist Church which was located on the site of the existing Morganville Cemetery.
Barnes Lake which is westerly of Morganville was used for sleigh races in the Winter. These were very well attended. 30
On 2 Apr 1801 when Edward was 22, he married Mary HARRIS, daughter of Captain Henry HARRIS (4 Feb 1757-12 May 1831) & Elizabeth HALL (31 May 1761-18 Dec 1820), in Clements, N.S. Born on 30 Jul 1782 in Annapolis Cty, NS. Mary died in Bear River, Digby Cty, NS on 8 Jan 1858, she was 75. Occupation: Housewife. Religion: Baptist.
They had the following children:
i. Thomas (1804-1892)
ii. Henry Harris (1806-1886)
iii. Maria (1808-)
iv. Jane (1812-)
v. Edward E (1814-1894)
vi. Samuel (1817-1910)
vii. Assinith (1820-)
viii. Charles (1825-)
4. MORGAN. Christened on 10 Jan 1790 in Annapolis Royal, NS.31
5. Sarah MORGAN.32
Sarah married Samuel HENSHAW.
1. Discharge Papers of George Morgan
Annapolis Co. Deeds(Bridgetown)
Vol. 1, P 916
2. Information from Muster Rolls Held in the Public Record Office at Kew Gardens, London, Eng.
3. Deed Ann Davis to George Morgan
Annapolis Co. Deeds(Bridgetown)
Vol 1 P 916
4. P. 87
Old Book of Grants #1
Nova Scotia Department of Crown Lands
5. License of Marriage
Public Archives of Nova Scotia
RG1 Vol 166, P. 36
6. Public Archives of Nova Scotia
RG48 Reel 402
7. Annapolis Cty Deed Book 1, P. 35
8. History of Annapolis County, W.A. Calnek, 1897, Mika Reprint
9. Annapolis County Township Book
10. Fort Anne Papers: Reel #5-12140
11. Deed William Robertson to George Morgan
Dated 13 May 1796
Annapolis Registry of Deeds-Book II
12. Estate File of Joseph Potter, Junior
Annapolis County Court of Probate
13. Inventory and Administration
Estate of George Morgan
Annapolis Cty Probate
14. Doc #240 Micro reel #19415
Public Archives of Nova Scotia
15. Latter Days Saints
International Genealogical Index(IGI)
Batch No. A456615
16. Bridgetown, NS, Its History to 1900
17. St Luke's Anglican Church Original Parish Records on Microfilm-NSARM Reel 2
18. Chute Genealogies, W.E. Chute
19. The American Loyalists, Lorenzo Sabine
20. A Geography and History of the County of Digby Nova Scotia, Isaiah W. Wilson, 1883, Mika Reprint
21. Petition for Expenses - Edward Morgan - as Adjutant of Militia
Public Archives of NS
Annapolis Militia Papers
22. Land Petition-Edward Morgan
Dated 3 June 1822
Public Archives of NS
Land Grants & others 1825
23. Table 2, P. 178
Barbara R. Robertson
24. Notes from Marion McCormick, Bear River
25. Smith's Cove and Her Neighbours
26. Captain John Harris's Diary
MG1 MFM 14006
27. Captain John Harris of Clements Nova Scotia
Leone B. Cousins
28. Will of Henry Harris
Dated 10 Apr 1831
Annapolis Probate Court
29. Notes from Edward Walter Morgan
August 3, 1996
30. Discussions and notes from Catherine Morgan. December, 1995
31. St Luke's Anglican Church Records
32. Henshaw Genealogy
Historic Restoration Society
Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia B0S 1A0